Monday, December 16, 2013

The busy trap, family meetings and finally a great weekend.

Finally a moment to blog. I shouldn't feel obligated, this blog is really for me more than anything else, but I do feel a bit lax if I skive off for a bit and I do miss being around here. When I write, I feel like we're having a chat, a catch-up. That would sound bonkers to normal people but we're bloggers aren't we, so you know what I mean.

I get a bit bored of people going on about how busy they are but I've fallen into 'the Busy trap' (great article). As soon as Renegade finished, something else big popped up, so the time I thought I'd have when Gus went to school hasn't really happened yet. And yet, even when I'm not so busy, I make myself busy, out of some misguided notion that if I'm not busy, I'm being lazy and I start to feel redundant.

I think probably a lot of freelancers feel that way. Always this underlying guilt about being the one at home, and though I am working, I'm sure a lot of people think it's an easy life. That I am probably sitting around eating biscuits watching This Morning. And because Ben goes out and makes the money we live on, I constantly pressure myself to contribute more. When you run your own business, you just don't switch off, ever. That's why I'm designing Christmas cards in my sleep! I find it really, really hard to relax.

So the other day, prompted by Gus keeping me up all night with a hacking cough and ear infection I literally stayed in bed all morning and watched Columbo. And it was bloody marvellous! I wouldn't have got up at all if I hadn't had to go and watch the school play! I think I have to try to do that more often.

We had a lovely weekend too, the best in a while. Recently I've found weekends difficult, there's been pretty bad sibling rivalry and constant fighting which has been exhausting and we've all been walking on eggshells to prevent meltdowns. But we've really worked on things, family meetings, the lot. And things have improved immeasurably :-)


Saturday morning we made these. (Making up for not making an amazing handmade advent calendar ;-) 





I made some trees about 10 years ago, which have become part of our family Christmas and I've always wanted to make more with the kids. So I ordered a reindeer cutter and plenty of Das and we made loads of these decos. So easy and so much fun. I'm going to string them up over the fireplace.



Then on Saturday afternoon I took the big one to see Emil and the Detectives at the National Theatre and it was absolutely brilliant! It was extra special because I read the book to him last year and he loved it. A book which I read myself when I was about his age and never forgot. And as we entered the theatre I realised that I was also 8 when I first went to the National Theatre (to see Guys and Dolls). I highly recommend the book for kids, it's such an adventure. And if there are any tickets left, the play is just fantastic. The staging and production design is absolutely beautiful.










Then on Sunday I took the little one to The Tiger Who Came to Tea. My 3rd visit! I think I'm done now because the songs are driving me nuts ;-) But it is also a really lovely production. Gus's face when the tiger came in was a picture!
Then we got our tree and decorated it to A Very She & Him Christmas. And all was right with the world :-)

So that's my catch up. I'll fill you in on new things I'm working on next time.
Hope you are all well. x


p.s God this post is middle class. Crafting, family meetings and the National Theatre. Sheesh. But I refuse to feel guilty about my middle class guilt!

9 comments:

  1. Love those Das christmas thingy's, sounds like a fun family project,I always end up sitting on my own as my boys slowly lose interest and wonder off leaving me to clear up and finish off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that usually happens here too tracey but this one seemed to hold their attention :-)

      Delete
  2. A lovely post. Fantastic Christmas decorations, how nice to have made them all together. It amazes me how time just sort of evaporates. A bit like money. Sigh. But so long as there's just enough, it's fine. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks cj, you too. the passing of time freaks me out daily!

      Delete
  3. Finding ways to wind down rather than wind up can be hard. Sounds like you're finding the balance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've never read Emil and the Detectives but sounds like it would be right up our street. Will check it out next time in our bookshop. Your weekend feels so Christmassy - the boys must have loved it. And there is nothing better than making the decorations together as they will remember them always.

    ps That last sentence cracked me up! Have you read this blog? Think you might enjoy it if you haven't already seen it. http://www.middleclasshandbook.co.uk/ It always makes me laugh. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i could get addicted to that blog jen ;-)

      Delete
  5. Gah, the sibling dynamic is full on isn't it. My two have been at it since Isla was first able to show her disapproval of her elder sister (about 6 months old). I still can barely leave the room without issuing stern warnings as to what will happen if there is any fighting.

    But then (very very) occasionally they'll be so utterly adorable together it gives me great hope for their future adult sibling relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know, it usually takes about 30 seconds before one of them shouts at me with some tale to tell. so boring! getting better though. just gotta keep up the reward charts! x

      Delete

I love getting comments, unless they are mean. Thank you!